How to make a complaint


To make a complaint about any aspect of Cantwell Grove’s service, please contact:

Cantwell Grove Limited, Suite 5A North Mill, Bridge Foot, Belper, Derbyshire DE56 1YD.

If not satisfied with the response, the Pensions Ombudsman may investigate and determine any complaint, or dispute of fact or law, in relation to the SSAS administration. The Pensions Ombudsman can be contacted at: –

The Pensions Ombudsman
10 South Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 4PU
Tel: 0800 917 4487